Jump to content.

Jeff Werner

Designer in Vancouver, Canada. Secretary of the 221A Artist Run Centre, member of Fieldwork design collective, and former exhibit designer at the Beaty Biodiversity Museum and the Vancouver Aquarium. Graduate of Emily Carr and University of Victoria, and worked in the Philippines, Indonesia and the Netherlands. Cycling advocate and race on the Garneau Evolution team.

Food, June 21, 2006 12:29 AM 9 comments

Chocolate

People are jiving me lately for what they perceive as a blatantly steep new curve in the graph of my weekly chocolate consumption rate.

chocolate-girl.jpg

While it's well known (or, at least, I attempt to make it well known) that the primary motivation for this sweet, sweet habit happens to be whatever variation of Lindt Dark that London Drugs has on sale that week, it is additionally mused—to my face—that that wives' tale about chocolate as the somatic chemical equivalent (nay, the same chemcial) as a good night in the sac is, in fact, the primary, subconscious reason for this “out of control” appetite.

It's no small secret I've been single this 2006, i.e. I'm eating chocolate to compensate for not getting any lately. Is what the people are saying.

To which I now submit this rational rebuttal: How come I bought and ate just as much sweet, sweet chocolate when I was greatly enjoying my previous relationship? Well? Did you think of that?

Point in fact my libido is trucking along just fine, all systems normal. Relationship status? Irrelevant. Or more realistically I can just never get enough...chocolate.

9 comments on Chocolate

1. Tobias | June 21, 2006 8:40 PM

Lies, lies, lies :)

Admittal is the first step
towards kicking the habit.

Do you have something to
confess, or do we have to
come home to you and intervene!!!!!!????????

Mwuahah!

2. Ross Angus | June 21, 2006 10:23 PM

Jeff, help us help you.

3. Tyler | June 22, 2006 10:55 AM

Screw them. Shoppers Drug Mart has giant Cafe Noir bars on sale, 64% dark chocolate with coffee beans. Sweet sassy molassy! Get out the check book and pay grandma for the rub down. Spurs Win!

4. Dylan | June 22, 2006 1:45 PM

Dark chocolate has drugs in it that are good for you!
It's true, the Television said so.

5. Me | June 29, 2006 8:10 AM

Haha... it's funny how you always seem to run into things like this. I was just browsing some site I found links to on stylegala.com, came here and read your post, and a few minutes before I was pondering on my new found chocolate cravings! ..hmmmm.. dark chocolate...

6. ED's Girl | January 23, 2007 11:14 AM

been surfing the net about the sweeties and writing selections for an English book on the stuff. check this out:

Chocolate, which the ancient Mayans referred to as the food of the gods, is well-known as divinely delicious, yet “forbidden food,” especially for dieters. Research studies suggest, though, that cocoa or dark chocolate may have certain health benefits and is not necessarily bad as some people think. It has also been that consuming approximately 100g of dark chocolate daily result to a modest lowering of blood pressure.
The high cocoa content of dark chocolate makes it a rich source of flavonoids. Flavonoids are said to have medicinal properties and play a potential role in the prevention of cancers and cardiovascular disease. Cocoa processing with alkali destroys most of the flavonoids, though consuming milk chocolate, white chocolate, or drinking milk with dark chocolate, appear to negate cocoa health benefits. According to researches funded by Mars, Incorporated at Harvard, the University of California, and European universities, cocoa-based prescription drugs might even help treat diabetes, dementia, and other diseases. Some researches also have indicated that chocolate may be more effective than leading cough medicines at preventing stubborn cough. Chocolate’s active ingredient, theobromine, was found to be more effective than codeine in cough medicine. The chocolate appears to soothe and moisten the throat. Patients are advised to speak to their family doctors, though, before treating their cough with chocolate.

7. ED's Girl | January 23, 2007 11:24 AM

and, oh, re the addiction... It contains some substances which are addictive, like caffeine. But don’t worry, caffeine exists in very small amounts in chocolate. But it does contain large amounts of sugar, unlike cocoa in pure form. Some say it’s addictive because in a way, it makes you crave for more. It also has the addictive substances anandamide, tryptophan, and phenylethylamine. Anyway, about tryptophan. It’s an amino acid that converts to, and is the only source of, serotonin in the brain. Serotonin gives a person feelings of well-being, relaxation, confidence, and concentration. Low serotonin levels in the brain play a key role in feeling depressed. Phenylethylamine, on the other hand, is a bit intriguing; it’s often referred to as a 'love chemical'! So, in a way, if you're getting addicted to anything at all--heck, why not chocolate? I also read in an article that the cholesterol from it is not the bad cholesterol you should be avoiding. BUT THEN AGAIN, as in all things, indulge in moderation :)

8. emma | March 2, 2007 2:07 AM

hello i am writing to you to ask for permission to use your picture of the chocolate bar. I am using it in a school project. It would be very much appreciated if you could e-mail me back the answer thank you.

9. JITU PATEL | March 11, 2007 10:15 AM