I played a lot of FreeCell during my UVic and PC days. The above is an image of my best streak: 71. After I lost that one I never played again. I also bought a Mac. And if there’s a FreeCell for OSX I don’t want to know about it. I waste enough time as it is.
However, I suppose I did learn something about strategy. Or maybe just FreeCell strategy. Let me try to recall my process:
- Locate the Aces. If it’s a good hand they won’t be buried too deep. If they are, just keep in the back of my head that I need to slowly but surely dig them out. Also keep in mind where the 2s are.
- Mentally test options, between four to eight moves, before moving cards.
- Clear a whole row and keep at least one holding spot open. Do that and I’m nearly guaranteed home free.
- Look for Queens on matching (i.e. opposite colour) Kings already on the board. Clear down to the Queen and stack there.
- Be very, very careful about putting Kings into the top left holding area.
- Never start a game when you’re already fucking sick of FreeCell and just want to go to bed. Impatience was the number one killer.
- Keep in mind there is only one (or is it two?) flawed FreeCell games (I think one was in the 20,000 range), i.e. every other deal is completable.