R80 03 Acetone…more like awesometone
Dedicated penetrating sprays didn’t work. Banging about with a 2×4 didn’t work. A little acetone and 60 seconds later out popped the fork steerer.
Other items from last night:
- Remove swingarm…so uh yeah, I didn’t see through all the grease that those swingarm pivot bolts have a 6mm hex socket in them…took one minute to unscrew from the frame.
- Drive shaft: getting that out of the swingarm is apparently not so easy. My Hayne’s manual wasn’t kidding: that end nut is on TIGHT
- Airbox: nice single bolt to pull one half off.
- Steering lock: I tried to hammer out the rivet by tapping on the plate cover from behind but it wasn’t coming out, and the plate was getting dinged and bent, so I stopped.
I tried to get creative with the driveshaft: re-attached it with the four bolts to the engine shaft (under the boot area) but I couldn’t get the gearbox back into gear to hold it still. The tried bolting that end of the shaft to some wood and hold it in a vice. And then a larger vice. And then a 2-foot lever for the socket and…I don’t want to screw anything up, so I’m going to wait for my mechanic buddy and:
- Use an impact drill to get the drive shaft rivet off?
- Should I grind off the steering lock rivet?